Saturday, October 31, 2015

25th Oct 2015 – 31th Oct 2015 [Savitri Aunty says bye]


 
One more example of life’s dramatic turns.

Sapna was with Akshay and Muskan, on 27th night, enjoying a good wedding reception in Hydrabad, Vijay Bhagwandas Dodeja’s one and only daughter Bhavni was getting married to Sapna’s relative. She informed Akshay that Savitri Aunty was getting discharged from hospital in morning, her stein has worked well and she is ok now. Flow of life turned, and suddenly Savitri Aunty was no more in morning of 28th. I rushed to Santacruz for her last rites, along with Mummy – Lali – Manju – Avi – Pinky. When Sapna meet me at Santacruz, she remarked, just 12 hours back I was at wedding with your son, and now I am with you, for Antim Yatra!

 And to add more drama Tulsidas mama is also hospitalized for sever Jaundice in same hospital. He was also very critical.

Savitri Bajaj

My third number mami, third one to go.

Dad used to say that ‘she is most typical shikarpuri woman. Even though not educated in modern terms, she is very modern, aware of her surrounding socially, economically, spiritually.’ She was very good source of information on sindhi relatives, well aware of happing in and around her. 

One of the very few families are connected with south Mumbai, and she was one of them. And she will share hard facts without any biased or ulterior objective.

And after Dad, I replaced him in respect of gossiping and exchanging notes with her on regular basis. But my range was at gossiping level of immediate family. Just few weeks back I spoke with her for 42 minutes. And this was norm. I had reduced my interaction with her, due to my other pressing matters, earlier, one call in 15 days with her was necessary, more so for me.

My earliest memory of her is, she sitting with Nani, taking stock of cloths with ‘Dhobi’. My tiny mind registered a picture of Two Nani’s, one unnecessary scolding me for jumping on pile of cloths, accumulated for dhobi. Nani will scold, saying ‘Lughi Vanday..’ [will get hurt] and aunty will protect by saying let the kid play. And after death of official Nani in year 1972, Savitri Aunty was defacto Nani for me. I used to tease her as proxy Nani and she would enjoy that.

 Laxman Nivas has seen four Yugs. Satya Yug was when Laxman Nivas was one story building, our Nani used to rule, I was ‘nikker walla’ small boy along with our gang of five. It was totally chilled out period. Than came Tritya Yug. Family division bisected Laxman Nivas, horizontally. Most of the edlers of Satya Yug were no more, the young couples of Satyug were now elders. We ‘nikker – gang’ were married and raising our own family. After two decades, in ‘Dwapar’ Yug, one story building was replaced with 6 story tall structure. Our Nikker – gang was now counted in (early) ‘elder’s’ stage. The kids of gang were now married and raising own family, in simple words, turned into grandparents.

In all this turmoil, Savitri Aunty – Rajkumari Aunty and Mummy are strong thread, bringing the culture of Satya Yugh to Dwapar Yugh. The cultural transition, passing of ‘Sanskars’ and Values was through them only. And I believe Savtri Aunty was torch bearer of anchorage of the Bajaj family. Many will disagree with me but she really had subtle influence and was more direct and verbal.   

Today, she has left us, leaving Nikker – Gang as family elders, [all are now grand parents]. How Mummy, Rajkumari Aunty, Jyoti, Kanika etc will handle her loss, I do not know, but I will remember her laugher over the phone line on my silly comments, her concern and gentle advise for others. She will have always wise words in handling of DIL’s, raising children, solving matrimonial issues.

I specifically remember, she saying, ‘Babloo, you are eldest brother, so forgive and forget Sanjay and try to patch up with him.’ Mind you, she did not have any soft corner for Sanjay neither he had requested her to say such thing, it was her wisdom, her culture, her foresight.
 

by P G Dodeja

No comments:

Post a Comment